While the teaching of processing is underway to skill-up as many interested students as possible, we are working on a very special app. Actually it is not an app.
Catch-it is a web page that works like an app. It can :
- Run on any device that can display a HTML5 web page (Most smart Phones, Tablets, iPhone, iTouch, iPad)
- Log accelerations (calculate velocity and distance by simple integration)
- Display Data as arrows, numbers or graph
- Record & email data (to any email address)
- Filter noise from sensors
- Alter sampling rate (by averaging)
With this app we hope that a good number of physics experiments can be PhoneLabed. It was initially developed by Tom Anderson and is being improved by Jason Haylock.
The core code is written in processing – so that students have access to it and can alter it. We use a j-query to access accelerometer data and PhP to send out the emails. Most of it is working now and almost ready for release.